Friday, April 17, 2009

I've just signed up!


Good afternoon and welcome to this blog space - I can't believe the blog Url of 'womensminimarathon' has not been taken before now.

A while ago...a while ago being about a month ago, an email was sent around to everyone in my workplace about running the mini-marathon for an organisation called DEBRA Ireland. This was the first time the thought emerged into my head of running the 10k that is the mini-marathon.

It had been advertised that you could register by posting your appliction, which could be found on Wednesday and Saturday's Evening Herald. So I took one of the papers home with me - but somehow misplaced it and never registered.

That week I decided to test out my fitness and see how well I was set to run, or rather 'jog' this marathon. The results were nothing surprising. I got up with a burst of energy. Ran out the front door at 7am - and of course was hoping that I would not bump into anyone I knew. Oh the sheer embarassment of someone catching you mid-run when you're not too used to anyone seeing you in a set of jogging pants and a red face from too much exercise all at once. Swimming and cycling I can handle without getting the red face syndrome after 10 minutes. Running is a whole other ball game, which I have successfully managed to avoid doing for a good 24 years. You'll have never seen me run before now.

I had given up, after those two 20-25 minute sessions. All it took was a rainy afternoon, a hangover, another night out, and the hassle of having to shower twice in one day to get me to 'throw the towel' in as it were.

But thank God for reminder emails. The email was sent around our office again this week. And so I signed up online. And once I put some money down [the €23 to register]...I shall go through with it.

I shall write a little bit about the charity when I get home from work tonight...but I will say this - it's to help fight a condition that affects the skin. And anything that affects the skin has the knock on effect of not being skin deep. It can shatter your confidence and so much more.

So I'm hoping to make it into the photo next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment