Tuesday, May 26, 2009

01:02:38 and double vision




I was getting a tad nervous at my desk in work today - merely thinking about the approaching run on Monday. Nervous that I never really all that accurately calculated my training sessions between not knowing exactly what distance I ran and not really keeping track of the time I ran it in.

I've been telling people that I'll be happy if I run it in under an hour. Well, I'm not entirely sure how possible that is for me to do. When I got home from work this evening I embarked on a Google Maps precisely calculated 10k run. From where I live in Drumcondra to the Swords Rd/Collins Ave junction is 2.5k according to reliable Google maps.

So I wanted to run exactly 10k and see how long it took me. I ran as far as the junction, ran back to Drumcondra, back to the junction again, and back home breathless. I really pushed myself in the second 5k. I just seem to be a slow starter I think. The longer I run, the faster I get. I don't know if this is how people normally run long distances. But anyways...I did the run in an hour, two minutes, and 38 seconds. I thought it was alright. But then I looked at last year's race times. Check out what place the runner who got that time I got this evening came in at.



Yes that is one thousand, seven hundred, and sixty ninth place. There were 6300 people in the race. I feel a bit pathetic coming in with a time of over an hour even though I haven't been running that long. And be under no illusion - training has been difficult. I am not a natural runner. I have no air max in me, wha?!

What I listened to as I ran: Hot Chip - Made In The Dark album [2008]

I was going to write more but I'm tired and have been up since 5.20am. I still need to stretch. The effort of it all...

I'll post in another day or two. I have The Women's World Fair in the RDS to look forward to on Saturday. I've to pick up my race number there. Any takers on accompanying me???

Once again - cheers for all the sponsorship.

No comments:

Post a Comment